Monday 18 May 2015

Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

There's never not a good time to indulge yourself in chocolate. Who cares if summer is around the corner and your struggling to fit into your new bikini? Chocolate will always come before the beach bod. Always.

If you're like me and absolutely love a calorific treat, then continue reading as I tell you how to make nutella stuffed chocolate chip cookies, a.k.a heaven.

Since the start of this academic year, I've had to significantly improve my baking skills as my history class decided to introduce a twice a week cake rota. We all take it in turns to bake for the class, and I'm all up for it, apart from the fact that until the start of this year, I was probably the worst baker/chef ever (no seriously, I've nearly burned my house down about 3 times). Anyhow, I'm always looking around for new recipes to try, and when I came across your standard cookie recipe with an exciting twist on I Covet Thee's blog, I just had to try it. I did adapt the recipe a little to suit my preferences by combining a few different recipes, but just experiment and you will find what works best for you.

I must say before I get into the whole procedure, do not worry about not being able to bake this if you don't have the right equipment. I didn't have a set of scales, an electric blender or grease paper (I did say I'm no chef), and despite the recipe stating otherwise, working without these tools still worked an absolute treat for me. As long as your estimates are okay, you should be fine.

So, to make 12 servings of these beautiful little treats, you are going to need:

  • 125g soft butter
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • A teaspoon of vanilla
  • 225g self raising flour
  • A pinch of salt
  • 200g chocolate chips (but add more/less as you wish)
  • And most importantly, the biggest jar of nutella you can find
Tip: If you don't have scales like me, take a look at what the full weight of each product is before taking however much you need, and segregate what you need out of the bag. For example, if you have a 300g bag of sugar, to get the 100g you need, simply pour out a third of the full bag. It wont be exact, but it worked for me.

Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4.
  2. Mix your butter and eggs together before adding the egg and vanilla.
  3. Sift in the flour and salt and mix. Add more flour if required until you get a very thick,doughy consistency. Think of play dough.
  4. Add as many chocolate chips as you like (the more the better) and mix them in.
  5. Take handfuls of the dough and roll into golf ball sized balls. Then pat them flat until they are about 1.5cm thick.
  6. Take a dollop of nutella (you can use as much or as little as you like) and place it in the centre of the flattened cookie dough.
  7. Fold in the edges of your cookie to the centre to wrap in the nutella like a parcel. It should be completely sealed by gently pushing down around the edges.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7 until you run out of dough.
  9. Place your cookies on baking paper on a tray with plenty of space. If you don't have baking paper like I didn't, lightly grease your tray with a little bit of cooking oil to stop the cookies from sticking to the tray.
  10. Place in the oven for 7-10 minutes until the edges start to go golden.
  11. Take out of the oven and let them harden before transferring to a cooling rack/plate.
  12. Enjoy your very unhealthy but tasty treat!
Further Tips:
  • You can stuff your cookies with so many different alternatives! Try peanut butter or check out the sandwich spreads isle for so many more options.
  • Throw in any other treats you fancy! You could add nuts, dried fruit or even seasonal treats like mini eggs if they are for a particular occasion! Go mad!
So there we have it! All of my fellow chocoholics, I'm sure this will be something you absolutely love, so do give it a try and let me know what you think!

Happy Baking!

What are your favourite things to bake?
Are you chocolate obsessed?







No comments:

Post a Comment