Saturday 16 May 2015

50 Things to Smile About!

I was intrigued by a survey I read into recently (recently as in about a month ago). Bupa conducted a survey which asked 2000 British people what makes them happy for their 'Feel Great Britain' campaign. What I loved about the survey was that in the generation that is surrounded with high tech gadgets and aims of perfection, the survey found that some of the simplest pleasures include "feeling clean after a shower", "doing something for others" or simply just "sleeping in a freshly made bed" which made it right to the top of the list. The list made me feel really good, because it told me that despite the concerns that every part of us is controlled by technology, and that we are being ruined as human beings, the list gave me hope that people are still reliant on the more mundane, simplistic pleasures in life that lead to enjoyment and fulfilment, and I think that's great. In response, I wanted to sit down and analyse what makes me happy. Am I completely reliant on the modern day pleasures or am I similar to the 2000 Brits who are satisfied with the simplistic beauties of life? (Please note, I was not organised to put my list into any particular order; my list is completely random in terms of numbering!)

1. Making others smile.
2. Hearing the ice-cream vans tune.
3. Feeling the suns heat through the window.
4. Organising my things.
5. Knowing I'm up to date with everything.
6. Having my achievements/hard work recognized.
7. A hot meal on a cold day.
8. Music.
9. Being appreciated.
10. Simple, sweet messages.
11. Spending time with loved ones.
12. Long, peaceful walks.
13. Sunsets/sunrises.
14. Long, hot bubble baths.
15. Movie days.
16. New socks.
17. Long weekends.
18. Having my hair washed at the hairdressers.
19. Family get togethers.
20. Bohemian rhapsody. Need I say more?
21. Sunday morning lie ins.
22. Long weekends.
23. Beer gardens.
24. Butterflies.
25. Hearing Ronnie laugh (funniest thing ever).
26. Inside jokes.
27. Deep, meaningful conversations.
28. Sitting down to appreciate a good book.
29. Sunbathing.
30. Mangoes.
31. Tea made to perfection.
32. Exploring.
33. Making memories through pictures.
34. Looking back on pictures.
35. Smoothies.
36. Clean bedding.
37. The smell of fresh washing.
38. At Christmas when you get like 24 body wash sets and you smell like a flower shop.
39. Long road trips.
40. Thinking you've finished a bag of sweets and then you find another one right at the bottom of the bag.
41. The smell of coffee.
42. Flowers.
43. Sunbathing.
44. Meeting new, friendly people.
45. Seeing good friends after being apart for ages.
46. Needing to pee really badly and finally finding a loo. You know I'm right.
47. Fairy lights.
48. Cuddles with my dog.
49. Doing well in something.
50. Finding money you didn't know you had.

I didn't want to go on in case I was boring you, but I could honestly probably go on to 100 and still think of more things. I think there is so much to be happy about in life and it really is the small things that make a big difference to how we live our lives and determine the perspective we have of the world. Looking back at all the wonderful little things in life does really make you appreciate it so more.

What makes you smile?
Do life's simplicities make you happy?



To read the full Bupa survey, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment