Wednesday 17 June 2015

Why I Want To Become a Teacher



If you are a regular reader of my blog, you'll probably know that I am one of the "weird" people who actually really enjoys school. So much so, that the environment I have experienced at my school has inspired me to become a Teacher myself, with the possibility of even teaching at my current school. You're probably thinking I am either the weirdest person ever or some sort of lunatic at this moment in time, and most people who I have shared my plans with often think the same thing. "Why would you want to stay at school?", "I can't wait to get away from here!", "You're so weird!" - I understand that for a lot of people, school isn't the most enjoyable place ever, but for me, it generally has been one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life, and I am so grateful to be able to live in a country where going to school is a right rather than a privilege. I am incredibly thankful to my school for all it has done for me, and I want to be able to give back in some shape or form, and so what better way than to use the skills I have admired my Teachers deliver and pass them on to someone else in the future!
However, after reading that, you'll probably be quite surprised to know that I've not always felt this way. There was a time, at the start of secondary school, where I was pretty close to being that one kid in the class who the teacher probably wanted to batter. I was never someone who got into fights or was rude to my teachers but I was just very disruptive and I can't imagine how frustrating that must have been for my teachers. I look back now and I am so ashamed, especially as I am now at an age where I can relate more with my teachers. They're not aliens to me any more, and some have openly sat and chatted with me and told me how crappy it makes them feel to be made to feel so useless in front of 30-something bratty children. It must be so intimidating to stand there and be mocked and laughed at by people less than half your age, and when I think about that possibly being me one day, it is quite daunting, but as I have the experience of being the student that every teacher dreads as well as reforming into someone who uses that experience to help kids at my school in the same situation as I once was, I feel like I have the capability to be able to change the way kids feel about school by using my own experience and relating to them through that. I feel like in one way or another, I can relate to most children, and I can show them that although it may seem impossible, they are capable of re-developing themselves and making themselves a better person. I can't imagine how satisfying it must feel to be able to know that you were the person to turn a kids life around and put them back on track. 

Obviously, to be a teacher, you have to be very passionate about what you teach, and its no secret that I am incredibly passionate about History. I am absolutely in love with the idea of being able to stand in front of a class and share my passion with them as a career. It just sounds ideal for me. I love inspiring people, and I feel that being a teacher will give me the perfect opportunity to do just that. To be paid to do something based on one of your favourite things is probably the ideal situation.

I also feel incredibly lucky to have such engaging, inspiring teachers at my own school. I know that for a lot of children, they are not in the same situation, and many schools do not have teachers of such a high quality, and I'd love to be able to take what I have seen at my own school and deliver it somewhere which isn't of such a high standard. I think it makes such a difference when you know that your teacher is generally happy to be there and be doing what they're doing, and that's how I've always felt about my teachers. It is so inspiring and motivating, and if I can use that inspiration I have taken from my teachers, and develop it in my own ways to pass on to other children, I think it could just have such a positive effect on the outlook on education and life in general for the future generations. 

I have always loved being able to help people and make people smile. I think teaching will give me the perfect opportunity to do this, as I will be able to help students reach for and achieve their goals. It must feel amazing to know that your hard work helped a person achieve what they wanted to. I'd like to make more people feel the way I do about school and learning and make it fun and enjoyable! I want to be that one crazy teacher who does wacky things and makes everyone happy. 

Lastly, I do feel quite selfish for taking this as one of the reasons for why I want to become a teacher, although it is the least significant reason. I have such a passion for learning and exploring to gain a deep understanding of the world around me, and so I feel that the holidays you are given as a teacher will give me the chance to fulfil my dreams and aspirations and travel the world to expand on my knowledge. Travelling has always been something I've wanted to do, and if I can work in a job which I classify as perfect, and also fulfil my dreams at the same time, I will be living in an ideal situation.

What is your dream job?
What are the reasons for your aspirations?




No comments:

Post a Comment